Freehold Jewish Center

Our History

"Come visit us so that we can welcome you to our family, and we can become a part of yours."
59 Broad & Stokes Streets, Freehold, N.J. 07728 Phone: (732) 462-0254 E-Mail: office@freeholdjc.org

 

Home
Our History
Professional Staff
Officers/Trustees
Committees
Membership
Religious School
Listen to our Cantor
Adult Education
Sisterhood and Gift Shop
Our Ballroom
Judaic Links
Driving Directions

 

First Synagogue of Congregation Agudath Achim built 1911-16.

As far back as the 1880's, a Jewish community existed in Freehold. Though small at first, it steadily grew until, in 1909, it became large enough to rent a small hall on the corner of Main and Court Streets for the High Holidays. By 1911, the Jewish community's desire to build a Synagogue of its own was realized. That year, a charter was drawn up for the formation of an Orthodox Synagogue, Congregation Agudath Achim Anshai, and a small wooden structure was erected on a lot at First and Center Streets. The first Hebrew School began in September, 1914. A second floor was added to the building in 1916. In 1920, a Mikvah was built in the basement of the building.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The community continued to grow. In June of 1947, a groundbreaking ceremony was held, and in 1950 the building on Broad and Stokes Streets became the new home of Congregation Agudath Achim.  In 1973 the building was enlarged to accommodate the congregation's ever increasing membership.

From our humble beginnings, we have continued to grow and meet the needs of the Jewish Community in the Freehold area. Our membership comes not only from Freehold, but the surrounding towns as well. We have Traditional Sabbath and High Holiday worship services, daily Minyans, Hebrew School, adult education programs and numerous other activities that help us to remember our rich heritage, promote our Jewish values and move forward toward our future.

For over 100 years, Freehold Jewish Center has also maintained  a cemetery on Route 33 in Freehold.  For more   information about Freehold Jewish Center, contact our Executive Director, Marvin Krakower, at  732-462-0254.